Monday, March 28, 2011

Humble Pie (Not My Favorite)

It looks like my Writing for the YA Market class through the University of Utah isn’t going to carry. I’m of mixed feelings about this.

Of course I’m disappointed. I hoped this full course would draw more interest than it has. And I feel sorry for the students who did sign up, a few of whom even contacted me to let me know how excited they were. If you are one of those who registered, I’m sorry the class isn’t going to happen. If I do something like this in the future, I certainly hope you get a chance and it proves worthwhile.

On the other hand, teaching this class on top of everything else I’m doing would have been tough. I’m having a hard time handling everything on my plate now, so adding that class would have had me about to my limits. All this wedding stuff isn’t like rabbits but bacteria: I swear, everything Amy and I need to do, once done, has self-replicated to give us another five items for the list. This is one less thing per week, plus the preparation of curriculum and responding to people’s writing. So that’s the bright side.

Mostly, I’m disappointed and a little confused that the class didn’t generate more interest. People have been asking me for the last few years whether I teach a class, often acting disappointed when I tell them no. When I finally agreed to do so, it didn’t get enough interest to carry. This makes me suspect I’m not going to do this again anytime in the near future. Not so much because I’m not interested; I just question others’ interest beyond mere words. Maybe I’ll need to gain more prominence before a class like this would be in real demand. The problem is, at that point it might not make sense for me to teach such a class for so little remuneration.

The end result is that I don’t know when I’ll agree to teach a full class again. Ah well. C’est la vie.

*****

For those who don’t know, Amanda Hocking–self publishing queen—has signed with a national publisher. Here’s something on her reasoning as to why.

No comments:

Post a Comment